Learn how to get quantitative answers to your questions and also how to identify the systems, subsystems, and components that contribute the most to your loss exposure. The first day provides the background and skills necessary to understand risk and reliability terminology and to use system-level tools such as fault tree analysis, event tree analysis, and layer of protection analysis (LOPA) to model the system-level failures of interest. The second day focuses on calculating basic system reliability characteristics. Additional course topics during the remaining 2½ days of the course include the collection and quantitative analysis of component and human error data at the basic event level. Basic statistics and probability theory necessary to appropriately characterize component failure rates and likelihoods will be demonstrated. Among the methods you will learn about is Weibull analysis.
Who Should Attend This Course?
- Those who need to build on their knowledge of qualitative hazard evaluation methods to discover when and how to quantify the results
- Those who need to derive a clearer understanding of risks associated with their processes
- Those who need to learn to distinguish between cost effective and costly solutions for their facility's risk or reliability concerns
- Participants should have the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in science, engineering, or mathematics and a working knowledge of qualitative risk analysis methods (equivalent to previous attendance at Hazard and Accident Analysis, Process Hazard Analysis Leader, Advanced PHA Leader, or a similar course). Previous experience with probability theory or statistics is helpful but not required. Attendees should bring a scientific calculator to the course
What Will I Learn in This Course?
- Leave the course with the ability to objectively judge the value of system improvements
- Learn how to estimate the likelihood of rare, high-impact events
- Be prepared to identify where system modifications are needed
- 3.1 CEUs, 3.1 COCs, 5.85 CMs, ABIH approval #10-243
DURATION: 4.5 DAYS
Mr. Henrique Paula - Senior Consultant, ABS Group
Mr. Vernon Guthrie - Instructor, ABS Consulting
- This course is part of ABS Consulting's Advanced PHA Leader and Advanced Root Cause Analyst/Incident Investigator certification programs.